Skip to the main content

L'histoire de l'immigration de Tulio Idilio Callegari (immigrant italien)

Le Musée examine et accepte les dons de souvenirs et d'histoires, personnelles ou familiales, à la collection. En tant qu'institution pédagogique, ces récits nous aident à comprendre comment les individus se souviennent d'expériences vécues, comment ils les interprètent ou, encore, comment ils créent un sens à partir de celles-ci. Les histoires ne sont pas modifiées par le personnel du Musée. Le point de vue exprimé est celui de l'auteur et non celui du Musée.

Culture : 
Pays d'origine: 
Creative Commons: 
Numéro d'accession : 

Texte d'histoire: 

Tullio Idilio Callegari

My father passed away in 1954 and my 38 year old brother moved back home to take care of her. There was a lack of work in Italy and since Canada was known as the land of opportunity, and I knew other men in my home town who were going there, I made a decision to leave. I had to pay for my ticket and have at least $110 Canadian in my pocket when I arrived.
On April 30, 1955, I left the Port of Genova on the ship Roma and made the long journey to Halifax, N.S. Each table on the ship had 6 settings and by the time we arrived there were only 3 settings because the other 3 were too sea sick to eat but they continued to serve the meals and wine for all six!
When we arrived at Pier 21 on May 10, 1955, there were snow flurries and I found it very cold. As we approached Halifax, I remember looking at all the trees and houses along the coast and thinking they were very small compared to the homes in Italy. They looked more like garages.
As soon as we left the ship, we passed through immigration at Pier 21 and were given food to eat. I was very surprised by the soft, sliced bread and orange cheese.
Around 8:30 pm. with paperwork in hand, I boarded a train for Calgary, Alberta. When the gentleman took my ticket, he spoke to me in Italian so I asked if I could stop in Toronto to see my brother-in-law. He said yes, but I would need to change trains in Montreal. He showed me what car to go into and asked why I was going to Calgary if I had a brother-in-law working in Toronto? He told me that there was more work available in Toronto and I could stay there instead of going to Calgary. I was very happy to hear this and got off the train in Toronto instead. Although I was a trained mason, I started off working as a labourer for $0.90/hour and started learning to speak English. After a few months, I was able to find work as a mason and earned $1.10/hour.
In 1961, I was moved to a job site in Halifax, Nova Scotia by my employer. I met my wife to be, Marjorie Barnes in 1962 and we were married on May 18, 1963. My first child, John Franco Callegari, was born on February 17, 1964, daughter, Carla Luiga Callegari on June 11, 1967 and daughter, Giuliana Marie Callegari, July 11, 1970. I have two beautiful granddaughters, Katia Emma Denise Callegari, born September 20, 1995 and Lauren Nicole Callegari Boon on January 1, 2005.